Friday, June 20, 2014

Should Apps Be Allowed To Track Your Location?

     Do you have an expectation of privacy when you download an app? Well, I don't know about you, but I definitely expect privacy when downloading an app. I am not downloading an app so everyone can know my location, I am downloading this app because it may have a feature, game or type of activity I like to play with and enjoy in my free time. I don't expect that because I liked the game that it means I am wanting whomever to know my location at all times. I feel like it is invading my privacy.
     Should the police be allowed to track GPS data without warrants? I know how people feel about the police, because I am kind of "one of those people", but this question is kind of a sticky one for me. I feel like certain situations when you are trying to catch a criminal and the crime was extremely bad, anything should go when attempting to catch the suspect. If something happened to someone I cared about, I would want any and all measures done to bring down the person. However, I do not feel as though the police should be able to use the tracking as an advantage for minor things that really are just laws to make us pay fines for very idiotic reasons (see I am definitely one of those people). Those types of situations do not call for a police officer being able to just track someone down just to give a ticket for something that, in my opinion, probably should't even be a law.
     Would you use apps that post your location to your online social network profile or otherwise alert others of your whereabouts? I actually have some apps on my phone that have the location services where it will post where you are and what you are doing, but only if I allow it to. Like with Facebook, you can check in to places or say what you are doing at the time and it will tag you in where ever you may be, but it doesn't do it without you being the one or a friend actually tagging you there. But, with Facebook and many others, you can go to your settings and change it to where it will not post your location or let others do it either. So, yes I have done it before and will probably do it when I am at a concert or something fun, but it is not something I do regularly so everyone can know where I am at all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment